Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's Not So Complicated




The hubby and I caught up on our movie watching over the weekend.  We saw Nine, A Single Man, and It's Complicated.  We enjoyed all three.


Nine was pretty darn fabulous.  Who knew Judi Dench could sing and dance?  I loved seeing Sophia Loren on screen, even if they didn't give her much to do.  Nicole Kidman was incredibly beautiful.  Penelope Cruz seemed to be having fun, Marion Cotillard was pitch-perfect, Fergie practically stopped the show, and I even liked Kate Hudson.  I thought it was a beautiful merging of stage to screen.  If you're a show-tune queen like me, go see it.
A Single Man was overwrought at times (the Psycho sign?  We get it, he's stressed), but Colin Firth's performance ripped my heart out.  It's wonderful to see a movie that honors a gay relationship and treats it with respect.  If you're in a shallow mood, go see it for Julianne Moore's fabulous 1962 hair, make-up and gown.  With a cape! Tom Ford is brilliant. 

It's Complicated was typical Nancy Myers fare.  A woman of a certain age with a stunning house, fascinating career, enviable girlfriends, and glowing skin is strangely unfulfilled.  During a white wine fueled gabfest with Mary Kay Place and Rita Wilson, she reveals that she hasn't gotten laid in years and oh my God have you tried the bruschetta?  Suddenly, she's being pursued by two terribly attractive men, one who forsakes a young babe to bang our old girl repeatedly and another who woos her sweetly.  Who will she choose? 

My disbelief ceased to be suspended during a scene with Meryl picking flawless tomatoes from her breathtaking vegetable garden.  We're supposed to believe that this single empty-nester with no apparent domestic help juggles a booming career, a huge home that she is expanding, and affairs with two men simultaneously all while maintaining the most amazing vegetable garden since Kathy Griffin visited Suzanne Somers?  Maybe I think about these things too much.  Watch it on DVD on some rainy afternoon when you're depressed and need a light pick-me-up.

I see a lot of movies.  Maybe I should write about them more often.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment