Monday, January 18, 2010

Osage Over Globes


OK guys, brace yourselves.  I didn't watch the Golden Globes last night.  Instead, the hubby and I went to see August Osage County with Estelle Parsons at the new Winspear Opera House.   It would be an understatement to call that a smart choice.  The play was amazing.  If you haven't seen it and it comes to your town, just go.  Estelle Parsons has the energy of a 25 year old and her performance was astounding.  She, and the entire cast, seemed drained at the curtain call.  I'm sure an actor can't do something so intense and just shake it off, and yesterday there was a matinee also.  It's 3.5 hours long.  It had been described to me alternatively as a very dark drama with a little humor and a a dark comedy with a lot of humor. I would tend toward the latter, although it really defies any drama/comedy categorization.  Maybe it's because we're both from fucked-up southern families (are there any other kind?) but we both loved it and sat up half the night talking about it.


I DVRed the Globes and will probably write something about it tomorrow.  A winners list can be found at Joe.My.God.

No comments:

Post a Comment