Monday, February 14, 2011

Poached GaGa

I know, I know, I didn’t blog about the Grammys and I heard about it from my NY Bureau Chief.  Why didn’t I?  Partly because my new job is keeping me busy and partly because I'm just not that interested in the Grammys.  Frankly, I don't know most of the nominated acts anymore.  Back in the day, I knew every nominated song and rooted for my favorites. This year, I hardly knew any one.  In fact, my father called me to tell me to be sure to watch Lady Antebellum because he's such a fan and I had no idea who Lady Antebellum was.  My father is 87 years old.  He knows more about the hot Grammy contenders than I do.  One act I did know, like a good gay, was Lady GaGa and her incredibly hyped new cover of Express Yourself song Born This Way.  When does she come out as a Madonna tribute act?  You’ve heard of Mini Kiss?  She could be Mini Madonna.  She even had the Blonde Ambition ponytail.   I don’t know how Stefani does it.  She sings and dances and shakes her tight body in a tiny sarong of taupe Mylar yet she seems as sexy as Susan Boyle.  I really can’t put my finger on it, but Lady GaGa is like a young Madonna without the sex appeal.  So much effort goes into the costumes and the extravaganza of it all that the emotion is left out.       

I realized I may have just broken an unwritten gay law (and there are so many) by criticizing Lady GaGa.  She is a strong friend of our people and that's great, but Born This Way was underwhelming.  As gay anthems go, it's no I Am What I Am.

No comments:

Post a Comment