"The unique gifts that mothers and fathers bring to their children cannot be replaced by substitutes. I suspect that heterosexuals and even some homosexuals who have been lucky enough to have two loving parents can affirm this truth."
Not exactly a friend and ally. However, people can and do evolve and in a discussion of her Pulitzer win yesterday, she said the following:
"I have not favored same-sex marriage, but the reasons are complex. I care only about what kind of society we provide children; adults are on their own. But I have softened my views, partly as a result of studying this issue and having many long, open talks with my gay friends and family. For me, it has never been about rights for adults, but about the meaning and purpose of marriage as it benefits society and children. Given that perspective, however, I don't see how we can say that one child's family is more important or better than another's. I think David Brooks may be right that same-sex marriage is a conservative position. I think this is possibly breaking news."

No comments:
Post a Comment